Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Abilene to Waco

Last week I headed up to Abilene to do an inspection. It was about a three hour ride through parts of Texas I have never seen before.  Abilene is about 150 miles east of Fort Worth. I drove through the town of Brownwood and as I was crossing Lake Brownwood, I noticed this home on a hill on the right. I was so amazed that I stopped in the middle of the bridge and took a photo. 

Just a bit out of character for a very small town in Central Texas.  

Saturday Joanne and I took two of our grand kids, Haley and Brett to the Waco Mammoth National Monument. The site was made into a national monument by President Obama in 2015. Amazingly enough, this is an active dig site where 23 Columbian mammoth skeletons have been discovered. The dig is surrounded by a wonderful building with displays and murals that are actual size. The dig includes one level from 51,000 years ago and one from 65,000 years ago.  This part of Texas was actually a warm locale during the Ice Age and a wide range of animals lived here. Along with mammoths, there is evidence of ancestors of our wild cats, and even a camel.  The park is only 4.5 miles outside of Waco and is well worth the time to visit. Rangers provide detailed guided tours and information.
Lunch at Jake's Texas Tea House in Waco. Not like any tea house we have ever seen.
 Lots of fun.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment